October 5, 2011

Suyan

Suyan is a special dish we prepare for Saraswati Pooja. Its similar to a fried kozhukattai. I tried it out for the first time, very tricky for amateurs but the taste is worth the effort.

Ingredients
Raw Rice - 3 tbsp
Urad Dal - 1 cup
Salt - less than a pinch
Grated Coconut - 1 cup
Grated Jaggery - 1 cup
Cardamom Powder -  1/2 tsp
Oil for deep frying

Method
Soak raw rice, urad dal for an hour and grind into a fine paste with salt, without adding much water. Keep it aside. Batter should neither be too thick nor too thin.
Melt grated jaggery, remove all impurities and make a thik syrup.
Add coconut, cardamom powder and  mix well till thick. Make small balls of this pooranam.
Dip pooranam balls in the batter (make sure the pooranam is coated well on all sides) and deep fry. Serve hot!!

Im sending this to Denny's and Krithi's Serve It - Festival Potluck, Gayathri's Only Sweets and Desserts event, a brain child of Pari and to Khushi's My Diwali My Way


Bon Appetit!!
Rudra

3 comments:

khushi said...

its a new recipe to me.....I liked the idea....why don't you send it to my event...
Event :My Diwali My Way
check the other events
Event: Kerala Kitchen
Roundup: What’s on your kebab platter

Amila said...

seems tasty!! new recipe for me..want to give a try

Unknown said...

That is a very new dish for me, but sounds mouth watering, I love the ingredients and the process.